[Healeys] Fuel Pump

GUY DAY grday at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 15 16:25:46 MDT 2009

To add to the usual problems, if you remove the diaphragm and blow an
airline into the body of the pump along the central hole you may find a
large quantity of rust and muck that will slow the pump down and eventually
stop it.  I had one that would seize after a couple of days 'rest' and doing
this cured it for the next 3 years 'till I sold the motor.  If you strip the
body down to component parts it is an easier but more time consuming job to
clean it thoroughly.  If you do, paint a little clear varnish on the inside
of the body to seal it.
Do not look along the hole as you squirt compressed air down it and be
prepared for a quantity of muck that looks as if it came from something 10
times the size!.  If you don't have a compressor, use a footpump with a
length of screen wash tube clipped into the connector.

Guy R Day