[Healeys] thermostats

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Jul 15 10:20:06 MDT 2009

Same story with my BJ8 with Excel core, Texas Cooler and 180degF sleeved thermostat--180deg while moving, hotter while sitting at idle (on a cold day, she may not even get up to 180). Makes me believe getting air through the radiator and out of the engine compartment is key (I presume louvers, side vents and extra baffling would help).

I did survive the long, steep westbound grade out of Death Valley on a hot day (115degF in the shade--I was hallucinating ;). We turned the heater on--no fun, but bought us about 5deg--and stayed under 212 (100deg C for the Old World) even though there were several cars--and a tour bus--on the side of the road with their bonnets up.

bs