[Healeys] new oil pan

robert westcott 55healey at comcast.net
Tue Jul 14 12:54:55 MDT 2009

Thanks Bob,

The pan bolts were just a little more than hand tightened and the seal
wasn't leaking.  Bad news is the box shaped "Oil strainer" is really
hammered, the screens have torn and the bottom is loose.  Who knows
how long that thing has been rattling around in there. Do I really
need the thing?  Do I have to find a replacement, there isn't much
left to braze back together again.  Looks like the same hammer
mechanic that worked the pan over did his magic on this as well. I was
wondering if I could just leave this thing off, I haven't used chunky
oil for 8 years.

Thanks for the information on re-torquing the bolts, the gasket is
regular gasket material, not cork. The bolts are 1/4" fine (1/16"
heads). I need to figure out what to do with the oil strainer before I
get to bolt it back up.

Rob