[Healeys] 'New' 185R15 tire choice available...the /ratio.

Robert Blair rnbmail at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 9 08:25:00 MDT 2009

Greg, Yes - the /70 is the cross section height/width ratio - ie slightly
smaller diameter tire - ie lower rubber height, with a 'fatter' cross section
on the rim.  /lower number = more bloated look.

Think about a modern 245/45/16 tire - it almost looks like a strip of rubber
glued on the rim - the ratio of rubber hight to width is extreme - super
ugly.

In my book the best look for a big healey outside the original cross ply size
is the '185x15' - no/xx.  Fills the wheel well and appears to be designed for
the radius of the fender.  To my eye the 165x15 has the appearance of being
too small, meaning the radius is less concentric with the fender and the gap
between the tire tread and the fender line is too large.  If you do the maths
on the tire radius, you will find that the 185x15 is very close to the
original cross ply specs - I believe it was 5.90x15??

Universal is one option, Vredestein is another.

Robert N. Blair  Yellow 65BJ8  rnbmail at yahoo.com