[Healeys] Gearbox & Overdrive Hardware

Mark Schneider mandmschneider at comcast.net
Tue Jul 7 08:55:24 MDT 2009

Good morning list folk,

I recently completed a total gearbox and overdrive tear down, parts
inspection and replacement as necessary, and reassembly.  After the
system was back in the car and had 600-700 miles on it I needed to
correct a major leak that had developed.  As a result of this second
effort I found nearly all of the nuts and bolts on the system casework
required re-tightening.  Having never before having tackled a project
like a transmission overhaul I was surprised to find the fasteners had
apparently loosened.  I had very carefully wrenched them all during
the reassembly process with the objective of making sure all nuts/lock
washers and bolts were as tight as they had been on disassembly.   Yet
they all took one to two flats of re-tightening during the leak
search.  Is this need to re-tighten transmission hardware at all
common?  Oh yeah, leak found and fixed.

Mark 3
'66 BJ8