[Healeys] Tyres and Healey Tracking and Stability

Joe and Lenore Armour sebring at illawarra.hotkey.net.au
Tue Jul 7 07:29:34 MDT 2009

James
You may already be aware that some tyres now have a 3 digit number on
the sidewall beside the word WEAR FACTOR. This is apparently a rating
indicating that under a controlled standard test it indicates relative
wear. My opinion only, is that this indicates rubber softness to some
extent which should also relate to grip and adhesion.
I have had good quality 17 inch, low profile  Michelens and Continentals
with number 240. The lowest number on a 17 inch performance road tyre on
a showroom new car was 140. High mileage tyres are often as high as 380
The Bridgestone Advan road legal track tyres I have on my racing Sprite
are 80. Maybe this can help you with the relative performance of
different tyres.
You obviously like to use your car some what differently to a lot of the
listers who just tour from one location to another.

Joe