[Healeys] Just wondering about OZ

Quinn, Patrick Patrick.Quinn at det.nsw.edu.au
Mon Jul 6 19:40:59 MDT 2009

G'day mal

You had to ask and I know that you will be sorry you did.

Hoo Roo

Patrick

An Australian manufacturer describes saveloys as "sausages made from quality
pork and beef finely minced with mild seasoning filled into distinctive red
casings and naturally woodsmoked." Australians may or may not believe the
words 'quality', 'finely', 'mild', 'distinctive',  and 'naturally', but they
expect their saveloys to be defiantly, gloriously red.

Boiled saveloys prompted a memorable Australian phrase, "fair suck of the
sav." The original meaning appears to have been lost, although it is possible
that it refers to what has been called red soup. In times of hardship,
'saveloy soup' is the red water in which the saveloy is boiled; it forms the
main meal, and as a treat one gets a suck (not a bite) of the saveloy itself.
That sausage is saved to serve another day.

The term could also have evolved from, "Fair crack of the whip," which
appeared in 1924 in the Sydney paper Truth, and "fair suck of the sauce
bottle," both colloquialisms meaning an equitable opportunity or a reasonable
chance. The following appeared in 1972 Bulletin Sydney, "Humpries goes down
under a knuckle sandwich, his mouth and detached teeth so reddened you can see
he's had more than a fair suck of the sauce bottle."

Traditionally saveloys were eaten boiled. How long Australians have been
battering them, let alone battering footballers, is uncertain.