[Healeys] Packing front wheel bearings

Healey Bruce healeybruce at roadrunner.com
Mon Jul 6 11:20:24 MDT 2009

Given that I've not packed a front wheel bearing since high school, I
checked the service manual, which recommends repacking the grease cups every
6,000 miles.  I then read that, on a disc wheel car (as mine was originally,
and converted to wires with Dayton K-A series wheels, rather than
replacement with wire wheel hubs) there is a special tool to remove the
grease cups.

So, is there some trick to getting the cups off without damaging them?  I'm
also assuming from the description in the manual that one does not pull the
nuts and the bearings themselves for packing.  Can someone provide the
procedure for pulling the cups and packing the bearings?

Thanks.

Bruce Steele
1960 BN7
Brea, CA