[Healeys] Insulation

tomleavy at comcast.net tomleavy at comcast.net
Sat Jul 4 12:30:43 MDT 2009

Hi Keith-

Just to follow up, the sticky backed insulation cost $40, and the roll of
mylar bubblewrap cost around $18 bucks. I opted not B to use koolmat or for
that matter dynamat or any of those other asphalt-based products. I didn't
like the fact that it was permanently glued down- think moisture and rust! The
solution that I used allows for removing all materials on the floor in the
event of any water in the cockpit (I was glad that I used this alternative
when I got pounded by rain on my way home from conclave. the passenger floor
was soaked thanks to my new door weatherstripping . I was able to strip down
the bare painted floor, and toweled it dry immediately B with no troubles when
I got home to my garage).

I have also concluded that asphalt does not act as an insulator, rather it
absorbs heat quite effectively- ever walk barefoot on blacktop in the summer?
These asphalt based products like dynamat are great sound deadeners if that's
what you're after, but not the best choice for insulation.

Just thoughts

Regards, Tom