[Healeys] Temp gauge discussion

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Fri Jul 3 03:32:52 MDT 2009

Jerry,
Check the gauge by inserting the eather bulb in boiling water and wait
untill the needle settles down after lightly tapping the gauge. If it is
on 100 degrees C (or F equivalent for boiling water) the meter is correct.
If not correct, adjust the gauge. Take the bezel and glass off. To do
this you may have to bend back the three tabs on the bezel a bit before
you can twist and remove it. Prise of the needle using two small screw
drivers if you do not have a special tool to remove the needle.
Insert the eather bulb in boiling water (keep it boiling) and wait
untill the needle does not move any more, tap the gauge lightly in the
proces to get the proper position. Leaving the bulb in the boiling
water, replace lightly the needle on the 100 degrees C, tap gently on
the gauge and check the reading for accuracy. If OK press the needle
home, if not readjust and repeat the procedure untill it reads
accurately. Let it cool down and replace glass and bezel.
Of course be carefull not to kink the capillary line.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL