[Healeys] Gland

Richard Ewald richard.ewald at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 22:19:38 MST 2009

While I have never seen the part in question, I have been following this
thread.  When I first read about the impregnated string, I thought of Oakum
used in plumbing with cast iron drain pipes.  Oakum is stuffed into a joint
between two pieces of cast iron and using a small piece of wood, and a
hammer it is hammered into a solid mass.  Usually then it is covered in
solder.
If for some reason you wanted a lead seal, go to a plumbing store and buy a
bag of lead wool.  Just like steel wool, but make out of lead.  This stuff
is used when you are joining plastic drain pipe to cast iron (where hot
solder would not be appropriate).  Again, the lead wool is stuffed into the
joint and hammered into a solid mass.
Rick