[Healeys] Pertronix ignition, wires and coil choice?

Randy Dickson rdickson at midwestarchaeology.com
Thu Jan 29 15:42:35 MST 2009

Fellow Healeyoids,

Having successfully completed the alternator  and negative ground
conversion, I'm now in search of a more reliable ignition system.  I want to
get a Pertronix system but what coil choice should I choose.  I no longer
have a stock coil, it has long since died.  Should I get a Pertronix coil or
a fancier looking Lucas Sport coil?  The Lucas Sport coil puts out 40,000
volts and from reading old posts it seems that such a large voltage might be
a detriment as arcing can occur.  I'm guessing that the Pertronix coil
produces the same intensity of voltage.

Also, what about ignition wires?  Should I go with copper wires or the
filament type.  I do plan on putting a radio in but will most likely just
use the amp of the radio for my I-Pod.  Will static from copper wires be an
issue with the radio?  Could I just put resistor caps on the wires?  Thanks!

Randy

Healey Archaeologist

63 BJ7

60 BT7