[Healeys] Triplex windscreens and .45s don't mix

Charlie Baldwin mgcharlie at comcast.net
Tue Jan 27 11:38:57 MST 2009

I have heard that Triplex windscreens are available for British cars
through Pilkington's vintage windshield service.  Can some one point me
in the right direction to find out more about this?

As some of you may recall, I have a 1960 BT7 with 13,800 miles on it
that is an all factory original car.  Last night I noticed that the
windshield was smashed in the right bottom corner and then found that
some kind soul had shot a bullet through the garage door on my
building.  Had it been 4" to the right, it would have missed the car
entirely, but it first hit the turnbuckle on that side of the dash,
sheared it off, then went along the top of the dash pad, just taking a
1" swath through the covering and a bit of the jute underlay, then it
hit the windshield frame and the force and bending of the frame exploded
the windshield.

So I need a used windshield preferably with a similar date code on it or
a new one as close as possible to the original.  I found some info to
decipher the date code, but haven't had a chance yet to apply it.  I
remember that there is a 59 on it since the car was built in late 1959,
but need to check if there are dots to determine the month.

The other problem is the dash top "vinyl" material which I don't believe
is available any more. I have some similar original material from my '62
that has been replaced in my restoration of that car, but I don't think
that the original stuff can be patched without being noticeable.  I've
heard of vinyl repair.  Does anyone know if it can actually be done?

Any and all ideas are welcome.

Thanks.
Charlie Baldwin
York, PA

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of mgcharlie.vcf]