[Healeys] Monday musing

Carr&Edwards scvc70 at epix.net
Mon Jan 19 09:30:15 MST 2009

Good morning Healey listers,

While browsing through a binder of "Parts and Service Bulletins" obtained from
a former MG/Healey dealership, I came across the following.  The tone is
clearly that of another era, and I thought it might amuse you all as much as
it did me:

May 24, 1961
TO ALL DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS
Re: MGA 1600
      Austin Healey 3000
      Austin A99

Gentlemen:

We wish to draw your attention to Service Memoranda MG332 and A292 dated
October 18, 1960 which details steps to be taken to maintain the braking
efficiency and maximum pad life on the disc brakes fitted to the above
vehicles.

Investigation of complaints received on this subject reveal, however, that the
procedure detailed in the above-mentioned Service Memoranda is not being
followed, with consequent premature wear of brake pads, and subsequent damage
to discs.

Regular interchange of inner and outer pads during  brake service cannot be
too highly stressed.

Your earnest attention to this matter would be appreciated.

Yours faithfully,
HAMBRO AUTOMOTIVE CORPORATION
[signed] A. D. Woods
General Service Manager

Can you imagine a modern car manufacturer requesting its dealers to 'earnestly
attend' to something???  Let alone addressing them 'faithfully'????

Sarah Carr
BN1 in  PA