[Healeys] driving Healeys in winter!

Randy Dickson rdickson at midwestarchaeology.com
Tue Jan 13 09:48:59 MST 2009

Fellow Healeyoids,
Are we all becoming soft here in our old age?
I certainly would not be opposed to driving my Healey in the winter if I
didn't have to worry about the salt.  If the roads were dry why not?  The
driving season is just too short here in NE Wisconsin.

Back in college in eastern Iowa in the late 70s, I used to drive my Healey
year around.  I had a rust-bucket 57 BN4 with a rat-gnawed top that would
blow off at anything above 30mph.  The last 3/4 of the winter I drove the
car (sans top) to the store to get beer, to class and to play ice hockey.

My brother had a 63 BJ7 in college in the late 60s in central Iowa.  He
would park it on the hill in front of our house because the starter motor
was bad and he had no money or place to fix it.  He pop stated the car every
morning to drive to class.  Some mornings he would have to shovel a narrow
path down the street so that the car's rear wheels would catch and not slide
on the snow so that the car would pop start.  He still says that when he
used to get into the car the seat cushion was frozen and his head would be
hitting the inside of the convertible top.  After a half hour, his ass would
warm up the cushion it would sink down to an acceptable height.

Randy
Healey Archaeologist
63 BJ7
60 BT7