[Healeys] Questions on Big Healey Rally Light set up

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Thu Feb 26 12:41:28 MST 2009

Jim,

It was quite usual that one of each was used in day to day driving,
mostly Lucas  (LR 8; SFT/R700(S); FT/LR etc, but there were other
British makes as well, Notek, Kent, Wypac, Raydyot, Butlers. Quality varied.
However for serious driving two of each were used, yellow or white fog
lights and white spot lights. In Europe the French Cibii or Marchall was
the way to go in the 60's, they were far superior to the Lucas stuff but
prone to corrosion. Another good make was Hella (German), probably the
best in durability.
Some allready had halogen (iode) bulbs in the sixties
In addition a manual adjusting spotlight fitted/stuck on the inside of
the windscreen was used, I cannot remember the make, or an adjustable
one with a grip that was fitted on the door or front wing operated by
hand, e.g. Styla.
Always switch these lights through relays and preferably (for the looks)
use a Lucas toggle switch (plenty around on ebay.co.uk from Landrover,
Jaguar, MG etc.). The older purpose made relays are still available.
A good source is ebay.co.uk, ebay.fr or ebay.de

Kees Oudesluijs
NL