[Healeys] Spiral Bevel Diff Gasket

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Feb 26 07:37:52 MST 2009

   Hi Rich,
   If  all else fails, I've had success using "gasket-in-a-can" products.
   In particular, I've used a product called "Right Stuff" on a couple of
   diffs  (most  newer  cars  don't  have  a diff drain plug--you have to
   remove  the  cover).   It  appears  to  be  the  same/similar  to what
   manufacturers are using on modern cars to seal oil pans, etc.
   http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gaske
   t_makers/auto_Permatex_the_Right_Stuff_Gasket_Maker.htm
   -or-
   http://tinyurl.com/cph33x
   Bob
   Rich C wrote:

Hello all,

I'm continuing work on this early series spiral bevel rear axle for a July '54
BN1. Thanks to Mike Salter for directing me to some excellent shims of the
right size for the crown pinion end float, available from Spaenaur, the
excellent fastener supply house in Kitchener, Ontario.

Now everything's going back together and I suddenly discover there doesn't
seem to be a diff gasket available. That's the big round one that would seal
the diff body casting to the axle case.

I find this rather strange, as some 6000 or so BN1's and the 100S used this
axle, and the 4 bolt hub gasket is readily available.

Any leads to finding this diff gasket, anybody?

Rich Chrysler

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently." -
Henry Ford