[Healeys] Air conditioning?

Richard Ewald richard.ewald at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 18:08:47 MST 2009

Ed,
And I am in California.  There are two indisputable facts when comparing
Illinois and California.
1. Our Governor can beat up your Governor
2. We have way more environmental regulation than you do.
For example nobody talks about an Illinois spec car, but everyone has heard
of a California spec car.

It may not be economical to fix up and R-12 system, and recharge it, but it
is legal.
Getting back to the question at hand, if I was installing a NOS AC system I
would get a R-134 receiver drier, R-134 seals for the hoses (cheap, and why
not go with the good stuff) put PAG (Poly Alkaline Glycol) oil in the
compressor, and I would give serious consideration to replacing the rubber
hoses, not because they are not compatible with R-134 (They are) but because
they are at least 40 years old.
The receiver drier will probably run between $50-100 bucks, the seals a buck
or two each retail, the oil maybe $15, and hoses who knows, go to an AC shop
and they can make them up for a reasonable amount.
Rick