[Healeys] Amazing technology

William Atterbury watterbury at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 21 09:48:00 MST 2009

Yes, great technology.  We have one of the FDM (fused deposition modeling)
machines.

But one wonders, why did they go to all the trouble of laser scanning the part
and creating a plastic rendition when they could have simply used the old part
as a pattern to sand cast the new part?

If they really wanted to show off, they would have fabricated a new part from
the CAD data using an SLS process (selective laser sintering - Wiki it).
Think of a similar process to FDM, but uses powdered metal that is fused
together in layers using a laser.  Strong enough for gears or tooling, and
certainly much stronger than a cast iron D valve.

Bill Atterbury
'62 BT7