[Healeys] Tiers Tires which Tires

Ray Carbone racarbon at optonline.net
Fri Feb 20 16:24:44 MST 2009

Hi all,

I would like some recommendations.

Due to too many 4-wheel drifts, a year after I purchased my 64BJ8, I followed the recommendations of a BMC Rep and replaced my original Dunlop RS5s with 165r15 Pirelli Cinturatos.  Since that time I have tried a few different brands, however, all were 165s.

I am now considering the replacement of my '91-purchased Dunlops, but, after reviewing a number of archive entries and other on-line sites (http://obswww.unige.ch/~wildif/cars/tech_talk/wheels_tires.htm), I am now in a quandary as to what the optimal size would be.  It seems that a 175/80r15 provides the same circumference as the original Dunlop RS5s but are very difficult to find.  Some recommend the 195/70r15s and warn they may rub on tight turns.  Others feel the 185/80r15s are best and only 0.7" diameter larger the RSs.

As it seems any of these sizes are not commonly available, I would like your thoughts on what would be the best, reasonably prices, size and brand available today for someone that enjoys, but does not push, his Healey.  Also, based upon the fact that all are wider and larger-by-mass than the 165s I am used to, how is the steering and balancing affected.

Thanks all,

Ray Carbone

64BJ8 Phase 1