[Healeys] Flywheels One more time

Healeyguy healeyguy at aol.com
Wed Feb 18 21:16:58 MST 2009

For the 100 folks, the original four flywheel does weigh in at 45 pounds. These are straight out of the dark ages and I'm fairly certain the part number is the same as the flywheel on the WW1 British battle tank.  The 6 cylinder flywheels are close to 28 pounds. You can shave 17 pounds as a bolt-on change.  The pressure plate and clutch disc is about 16.5 pounds for all except the bigger 10 inch clutch which is about 17.5 pounds. Pretty much a wash if you are concerned with weight.  As stated previously the real  improvement is with the diaphragm BJ8 pressure plate. Make sure you use the correct release bearing if you change over.  As mentioned earlier the swap doesn't impact the idle.  I can get it down to 450-500 RPM and its steady although it is normally set at 800.
Aloha
Perry