[Healeys] Flywheels

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Wed Feb 18 02:25:33 MST 2009

It is always hard to compare before and after the rebuild performances.
Before, the engine was probably tired hence the rebuild. After,
performance will always be better, even if the rebuild is bog standard.
A lightened flywheel will not give you extra BHP, but it will give you a
better engine response and better accelleration (mainly because one can
shift gears quicker) at the cost of less smoothness, depending of how
much inertia you removed. If overdone drivebility will be affected, but
worse may be the possible damage to the drivetrain, especially in highly
tuned engines. Sometimes you get pitting of the gears in the gearbox
and/or differential if the engine vibrations (bangs per pot) are not
sufficiently damped (by the inertia of the flywheel). I experienced this
way back in the 60's with a Fiat Abarth 1000 and a Glas 1304TS run on
the track. It is also sound engineering knowledge and a well known
phenomina with gearbox designers. It may call for different oil and/or
an oil cooler for the gearbox.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL