[Healeys] Flywheels

healeyguy at aol.com healeyguy at aol.com
Tue Feb 17 18:25:40 MST 2009

Slightly off the lighten flywheel topic, well maybe not. The engines we
are mainly talking about, the Austin 6 cylinder, is an inherently
smooth engine. Not a V12 but an inline 6 generally has good balance
characteristics. Less cylinders has added issues especially in the
older designs. To the point, I use a BJ8 flywheel on our BN2 which is
substantially lighter than the stock BN2 unit. IM(not so)HO there is a
difference in seat of the pants enjoyment especially on acceleration
with no noticeable change in traffic or at idle. Of course not every
one drives these cars the same (not even on the same side of the road)
but I don't think anyone is running a 12 pound flywheel on the street,
perhaps some of you guys in Australia!
Aloha
Perry