[Healeys] Getting decent quality parts

WLLDBL at aol.com WLLDBL at aol.com
Mon Feb 16 07:43:01 MST 2009

Hello all,

I had my parts-buying epiphany a number of years ago when I bought the
cheapest replacement alternator I could find ("Rebuilt in Thailand"),
because I
just HAD to save that last $1.73.    That horrible piece of  junk broke
within
six weeks, causing me to, of course, go out and spend more money buying a
quality replacement ('cause I certainly wasn't going to exchange it  for
another
one of the same!).

What that experience finally made me realize about "cheap" parts was,  that
cheap parts are not really cheap.    That buying them  virtually guarantees
at
least one of the following will happen:

    1.   it won't fit properly,

    2.   it won't function properly,

    3.   it will break prematurely.

Nowadays, whilst shopping for parts, I invariably ask the salesperson for
the
highest quality part available.    The problem that then  arises, though, is
that
the salesperson EITHER doesn't really know anything about the quality level
of the part in question, OR, just wants to sell me the part that he  happens
stock, regardless.    What's a body to do????

Doug  Lyon
Claremont, CA

'59 BN7