[Healeys] Rear jet fouling steering column

Michael Gladwin michaelgladwin at mac.com
Fri Feb 13 19:09:40 MST 2009

Thanks to those who responded to my question.  The foul with the
steering column was as the result of collapsed engine mounts. Although
they seemed fine at first look a closer inspection showed that the
rubber reaction stops were hard down on the engine mount so that the
little reaction stops were acting as the main engine mount.  There
should be a clearance at that point.  Replacing the rubbers lifted the
engine and I even have to shim the reaction mount back down to achieve
the proper clearance.  I picked up new (quality) parts from Healey
Surgeons, spent the afternoon in grease monkey heaven and "Bobs yer
uncle".  Incidentally, the LH and RH engine mount plates were
reversed, even though they are clearly marked.  I wonder how many
others are like that out there in Healey-land.

Thanks again for the rapid feedback,
Mike
BT7
M3