[Healeys] Starter Problems BJ8

Skip Saunders tfsbj7 at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 8 18:57:57 MST 2009

Sometimes the brushes in the starter motor hang up just off of the
armature.... If you rap on the outside case of the starter with a hammer, it
can dislodge the brushes and you'll be able to start the motor.... however,
if dust from the brushes is clogging the channel where the brushes ride it
will happen again.  The brushes are spring loaded to keep pressure on the
armature...however, dust from worn brushes can fill up the channel and cause
the symptoms you describe.... the fix is to remove the starter, open it, and
clean out the area where the brushes are located... then reinstall the
brushes and all should be well...

-skip-