[Healeys] ebay Steering Wheel Warning

M Lempert mlempert at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 5 08:00:54 MST 2009

Thanks to all for your comments, especially Mark Goodman for sharing his
knowledge of the ebay seller.  I discovered last night why I was having a
case of dij` vu; I had done a signature comparison on a similar, but not the
same, wheel two years ago. That wheel had the very same signature as the
wheel in question today. This can be looked at two ways and I'm not sure
which would be correct. Either there was a second signature used, or it's a
counterfeit that was done more than once, probably many times more than
once - getting to Alan's point of period counterfeiting.

The best I can tell, the original signature looks to have been pressed, not
engraved, although I could be wrong. The questionable signature was also
likely to have been pressed, but definitely not personally hand engraved by
Moss. The LL stamping was just that, stamped.

All of this aside, and because of Mark's voucher, I withdraw my caution of
the seller and apologize to the gentleman. Those who are familiar with ebay
and the scams that go on will understand why the auction was suspicious.
Since this one was marketing to Healey people, I chose to warn my friends.

Regards,
Mike L.