[Healeys] electrc fan vs. belt drive

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Feb 4 13:43:48 MST 2009

This got me to thinking (always a dangerous proposition) ...

Aren't we forgetting about the Law of Conservation of Energy? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy). If I read the law correctly (I'm not a lawyer) if it takes X HP to drive the water/air through/over the engine you'll use X HP from a) the engine, for a mechanical pump or fan or b) the alternator for an electric pump/fan. Assuming little or no slippage from the belt, the engine-driven pump/fan will be operating at near 100% efficiency (minus the fluid 'slippage' at the fan blade or pump impeller--essentially the same for both electrical or engine-driven units). I don't know the actual number, but alternators are probably around 80-90% efficient at converting mechanical energy to electrical (by rectifying the AC output to DC you're losing some of the electrical power, and some goes up as heat and there's always friction).

IOW, if you convert X HP to watts, you'll increase the load on the alternator by (X HP->Y Watts), and the alternator will produce the additional watts by converting more engine HP to electricity.

The advantage of electrically-driven accessories--it seems to me--is the ability to reduce or shut off the motor power when not needed. Yes, you can run them off the battery, but usually you'll be running off the alternator.

Bob