[Healeys] stub axles, Part 1

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Thu Dec 31 12:12:38 MST 2009

Geez, it appears that anything more than two sentences goes over the 3k
limit.

After I retired from my job as engineering supervisor for the U.S. Navy H-3
Sea King helicopter design and maintenance engineering group, I became
Engineering Manager for a commercial contractor supervising 5 structural
design engineers.  These engineers used the Pro Engineer structural design
software suite on a daily basis to design modifications for Coast Guard,
U.S. Navy, and U. S. Army helicopters.  It was my hope and plan that they
could help me perform a finite element analysis of the BJ8 stub axle and
bearing assembly with and without the spacer and shims installed, so we
could resolve the question of the effect of the spacer/shims on the stub
axle strength, once and for all.
The problem I had was that I did not have the physical dimensions of the
splined hub adapter and the internal stack-up of parts that could be used as
input to the analysis.  Part 2 to follow...

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA