[Healeys] FW: stub axles, Part 2

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Thu Dec 31 11:41:32 MST 2009

After Hemphill's Healey Haven stuck with me with an unusable brand-new
splined right front hub adapter (incorrectly machined, causing a wobble in
the rotor) and refused to make good on it, I decided to section the adapter
so that a cross-section of the total assembly could be obtained.  With this,
I was going to feed it to one of the structural design engineers and have
him do the analysis.  Unfortunately for that, it was about at this point
that I decided to retire again and I no longer had access to the engineering
expertise or software to get the analysis done.
However, I did submit measurements and photos to get the technical opinion
of all five of the engineers.  Unanimously, they agreed that while the
spacer and bearing stack-up would add some small amount of stiffness to the
assembly, it was not enough to have any significant effect on either the
strength or strain (flexing) at the root of the stub axle.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA