[Healeys] Muffler for Healey 100

Richard Dryman rdryman1 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 31 08:26:20 MST 2009

Totally concur with Gary's installation of 'glasspacks' for the Healey{have
looked at his and he at mine}. Problem with the current original replacement
mufflers is metal thickness and construction methods. I had a NEW orig type
(BJ7) & the thin metal, etc. cause resonance vibration in the interior.
Earplugs were necessary; altho I had run this type of muffler and pipes for
the previous 20+ years without a problem.
 We know the installation is dual
and not single as 100, but this all is for general info.

To keep from having
to redo the down pipes and tailpipes spacings[distance apart] I installed 4
glasspacks; these are 12" body length( to give total orig length for
hanging),3" diameter, and have 1 3/4" pipes. The smallest you can get with
longer glasspacks is 2" pipes with a 4" total body diameter; problem is this
is too wide for original configuration and puts them closer to the road.
Certainly you have to use transition reducers (welded) and weld the mufflers
together with hanger tabs(they use original hangers in original location).

 The result is an original sound if not even louder--BUT the sound isat the
rear of the Healey, NOT in the interior. Remember the original mufflers were
much thicker metal with pinched and welded corners, not the thin and 'rolled'
construction of today with their resonance vibrations. The glasspack
housings are probably twice as thick and the front (and rear) are tapered
preventing total destruction if obstacles are hit on the road. Perhaps this is
an alternate installation for your consideration.
I wouldn't change at
all--earplugs aren't stylish. This size glasspack isn't easy to find: JC
Whitney item MS222813Y.
You can see this installation at the following link
(photos #5 AND # 9).

http://picasaweb.google.com/rdryman/AusTinHeaLey#5221435380754446706