[Healeys] Muffler for Healey 100

Jaap Aeckerlin j.aeckerlin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 04:34:29 MST 2009

Guys, although I'm not an enthusiast acclaimer of many of our traffic laws,
there is one which I like and that is that exhaust systems on bikes (and
cars) may not be changed for louder systems. If a motorbike makes too much
noise, like a Harley with 'scaffolding pipes' , as we call the straight
exhaust pipes, and it attracts the attention of our police, the biker is
told to change his exhaust back into its original state, i.e. the state in
which the bike was when it received its 'type approval' (=as it left the
factory). The bike documents are confiscated and only given back to the
owner when he shows up at the police station with the quiter bike.
I don't say this puts a stop to louder exhausts, but it does help.
And finally: a very loud HAPPY NEW YEAR to all listers!
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432
1984 BMW K100 RT (which is a quiet motorbike)