[Healeys] Muffler for Healey 100

awgertoo at aol.com awgertoo at aol.com
Wed Dec 30 18:42:02 MST 2009

In a message dated 12/30/2009 7:59:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
grday at btinternet.com writes:

Please  do not get me wrong, the sound of a well tuned exhaust note  is
wonderful....  <snip>  Are you saying yours  isn't?

---------

Yes, I think that when I installed the whole system--the AL head, the
tubular manifold and the DW exhaust it sounded better than it does now.  It  was
always "loud" but now there is just too much going on--an unpleasant hollow
 raspiness and a LOT of "loud".

It is of course impossible for me to quantitatively compare what the "loud"
 of 2002 is compared to the "loud" of 2009--perhaps some of it reflects a
change of taste on my part, but bottom-line it is my car and I want it to be
 the way I want it to be.  BTW in 2002 I did not have a hardtop  whereas
now I do--the hardtop definitely cuts down on noise in general and  increases
comfort--perhaps another reflection on some personal change--but the  "loud"
is an unpleasant "blatting" that prevents my enjoying music at  revs unless
I play it all the way up, and then when I come down to  lower speeds I must
turn down the audio.

I'm not looking for perfection, just a more pleasant tone.  The  exhaust
tone of my wife's BN7--very stock and also with a hardtop--is that  classic
Healey sweet tone.  I don't think people have  historically admired the Healey
exhaust note because it was loud but rather  because it was sweet, if a bit
loud.

I'll keep looking--thanks all for the input.

Best--Michael  Oritt