[Healeys] 280Z motor in a 3000

richard mayor mayorrichard at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 29 17:50:50 MST 2009

In 1997 I put a Nissan 280Z motor and 5 speed in one of my 3000s.  I got the
idea from Mark Lambert who wrote an article about it, that appeared in
Chatter. I contacted him personally and purchased a how-to manual that he had
prepared after doing his own swap. You really need this info because of the
wiring harness and ECU and the fuel injection system. Dimensionally the motors
are similar. The motor mounts line right up with each other. The capillary
tube for the temperature gauge screws right into the thermostat housing on the
Z motor - same threads, can you believe it?  The engine is much lighter - at
least 150 to 200 pounds lighter, although I never weighed the Z motor and
tranny combo. But, the car sat a couple inches higher after I lowered the Z
motor down onto the mounts.
The problem with the swap is that you have to do it with the front shroud off
the car. The engine is on a slant and the intake manifold for the injection
system is quite large. Basically, you cannot install, or remove, the intake or
exhaust manifolds with the shroud in place.
I took the car apart after a few years to redo everything and haven't got it
back together yet. However, when I do, I will not use fuel injection or need
the ECU. I have manifolds off early 240 Z motors with SU carbs and also a
triple Mikuni setup (Japanese Webers).
I think the Nissan swap is much better than any V8 swap. I used a stock Healey
muffler and everyone thought the sound was the Healey 6 cylinder. The Nissan
motor is virtually indestructable. They can go 200,000-300,000 miles without a
rebuild - so I'm told. It will turn your Healey into a rocket. I can promise
you that!!!!!!
Richard Mayor