[Healeys] body panel fit

wilkmanracing at aol.com wilkmanracing at aol.com
Sat Dec 26 10:44:01 MST 2009

I would suggest you do all the body work and have the panels primed with an
epoxy primer.  Then install the drive train.  With that in place you will have
the exact weight and distribution you need. There is no need to test fit
panels before everything else is in place.  On the steel panels, I'd suggest
you have them dipped by one of the professional stripping places.  It will
remove all rust, bondo, and paint in one shot.  Then when you get the panels
back, have a body shop prime them with an epoxy primer. These paints are
extremely toxic, so they are not for a home brew job, unless you have a fresh
air system and and some sort of enclosed space with good ventilation.  The
body shop could also do any straightening before applying the epoxy primer.  I
believe aluminum will melt in the stripping solution, so those will have to be
stripped by hand.  You can use aircraft paint stripper or do as I did, use a
3M Bristle Disk in a grinder.  It's a plastic brush-like tool that strips the
paint, but spares the aluminum.

Bill Wilkman
BT7