[Healeys] Switch knobs

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Dec 25 20:13:22 MST 2009

We've been doing our own. Clean the lettering out carefully with a not-too-sharp instrument--e.g. a dull pick--then apply white (or red, etc.) enamel paint into the letters with a fine brush. Let the paint soak in for a few seconds, then wipe the excess off the knob with a 'sharp' plastic body filler scraper. When the paint's mostly dry clean up any smearing with a thin cotton cloth with a little thinner (don't use something like a microfiber or terrycloth towel--the fibers will dig into the paint in the letters and remove it). You can dye and buff the knob beforehand if you want a shiny, polished look; we prefer the patina of a lightly buffed (only) knob. Paint, brushes, etc. are available at any hobby shop.

I know this doesn't answer your question but this is something you can do yourself and get good results, and it's not difficult. Takes about 5 minutes per knob, if you don't dye.

bs

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

Is there anyone out there who restores lettered switch knobs? TIA.

Doug