[Healeys] Rear Axle Removal

PG britishcars at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 21 22:38:43 MST 2009

RE:  '67 BJ8

Ok..so I am of weak mind and strong back and a bit of a sucker for
punishment.

One of my projects this winter is to lower the car by about 1"...just don't
like the way the rear of the Mark 3 BJ8 sits..too high.  Also, I have a rear
sway bar that's been taking space in my garage waiting for installation.

While getting into this job, I started thinking thinking that I've done the
transmission and engine so I might as well finish the drive train and do the
axle.nothing particularly wrong with it..bit of play but nothing terrible.

So, I have a couple of questions:

1.	To get the axle out, I need to slide it over the frame and springs.
While Haynes recommends this approach, I'm looking at the pumpkin and
wondering if will actually fit (even with rotating it);

2.	I assume it make sense to replace the bushing on the tie bars while
I"ve got everything apart.  However, am a little concerned that once I start
I'm going to find the bolts/nuts frozen and get myself into a bit of a jam.
Likewise for the bushings on the springs.

3.	Is this something where you leave well enough alone?

Thanks fro the help.all advice and comments appreciated as always.

Paul