[Healeys] "No, they don't make them like they used to. And that's a good thing:"

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE ynotink at msn.com
Mon Dec 21 18:06:08 MST 2009

An 80 MPH closing speed means both vehicles were traveling at 40 MPH. That's
not all that fast. Colliding with another vehicle instead of an immovable
object would lessen the impact due to the structural collapse of both
vehicles. The newer car is stiffer and has structural elements that channel
the forces away from the passenger compartment. It also had functional air
bags that absorbed the force of the passenger's body to mitigate injury. The
foot injury would likely be caused by collapse of the wheel well/footwell
structure, which is a common weak point. The rider in the older car basically
turns into a projectile and is at the mercy of the designers of the car. In
the 50s hard surfaces and sharp objects were quite common in automobile
interiors.
Take a look at the steering column on your Healey. Now if that's not an
incentive to drive it responsibly...
Bill Lawrence