[Healeys] Distributors

Fred Wescoe fredwescoe at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 15:05:24 MST 2009

I need the collective wisdom of the list on this one.

I have met a new owner of a 63 BJ7.  The owner is extremely frustrated with
the car.  The car does not run.  The distributor is a 25 D.  The tip of
vacuum advance unit is basically pointing toward the engine block, between
plugs # 3 and # 4.  On my car, also a 63 BJ7, the tip of the unit points
toward the firewall.  Is it possible the distributor is off 90 degrees?
Everything I know, and can find, says the distributor is either correct or
out 180 degrees.  Nothing else is possible.  So how is it possible for this
one to be pointing toward the block?  Any ideas?

Also, the distributor needs a new rotor, plus a spare.  This topic has been
discussed many times but what has been the final opinion, with or without
the rivet and who carries the correct one?  What about the cap?

I have done a compression check and get readings averaging 180 psi with no
variation between cylinders of more that 5 lbs.  The head was redone and new
rings were installed.  There are new carbs on the car.

What gives?

Fred
63 BJ7