[Healeys] Earthquakes and Lifts

wilkmanracing at aol.com wilkmanracing at aol.com
Wed Dec 16 20:57:03 MST 2009

I live in Southern California, AKA earthquake country.  I have a four post
lift that, like most four post lifts, does not have to be bolted down.  One
concern I have, however, is what happens to a car on the lift and a car below
the lift in the case of an earthquake.  Seems to me that a moderately strong
earthquake could topple a lift leaving both the top and bottom cars in a bad
state.  But, just bolting a lift down would not seem to be enough.  Unless the
bolts extended well into a deep footing, I would think a moderately strong
earthquake would pull the bolts out of the ground.  Does anyone have any ideas
as to how to earthquake-proof a lift?

Bill Wilkman
BT7