[Healeys] TYRES

Joe and Lenore Armour sebring at illawarra.hotkey.net.au
Tue Dec 15 06:27:45 MST 2009

Each and almost every company will make a tyre to suit a range of
buyers/users.  Moral do not blindly buy according to company advertising
blurb.

My suggestion is with cars that generally do little mileage buy 'soft'
tyres that handle and brake well. In autralia the motoring mags. do tyre
tests with the same vvehicle and driver. It is amazing for example that
in brand name tyres you can get several car length difference in
stopping distances.  The best wet performance and dry are not not
necessarily from the same brand.

One FACT I find most usefull is the number on the side of the tyre that
indicates it's wear factor. It is assumed that low wear is consistant
with soft rubber and therefore better grip. For example our local GM V.8
goer is issued with Wear Indicator 140,  my Michelins were 240 as were
my Continentals. As a comparison my Sprite road legal track day tyres
are 60.

Go to you shop and say give me cheap tyres and you may be sold 360.

When I need to stop in a hurry I want to STOP.  It would seem most of us
and our cars are aging and we need all the help we can get. Our only
contact with the road is that little patch, do you want adhesion or
something approaching carbon?

Joe