[Healeys] Lowering a BJ8 - Cape shocks

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 09:15:50 MST 2009

Springs determine ride height.
Shocks (dampers) determine oscilation of springs.
If you don't understand the principles, your Healey will never handle.
i.e shocks stop springs from oscilating. They dampen (stop/limit)
spring oscilation (the bounce in a spring) They don't determine ride
height.
In my experience, the easiest way to lower a BJ8 is to fit earlier
3000 (ie Mk I/ ii rear) springs, and drill out the centre locating
bolt hole to fit the BJ8 one.
Then you can use an earlier 3000 competition main leaf, if you need to.
I did.
And I used 1/2 inch lowering blocks.
Then worry about your shocks.
I still have Armstrong lever arms.
But then, I'm an old school kinda guy.
And the maths said they were cine. At the back, with leaf springs.

Chris
www.myaustinhealey.com.

Sent from my iPhone