[Healeys] Bugeye clutch

S and T Miller stmiller96 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 28 10:56:31 MDT 2009

I never liked where our Bugeyes clutch engaged/ released (way too close to the
floor).  So I ordered another push rod to replace our worn one and that was
actually a bit shorter then the original one.  Now, yes the release bearing
could be worn, but I have never had it apart and was told when buying the car
that a new clutch kit was installed previously???  I do actually believe the
previous owner because all that he had told me has been verified so far.  As
you might know you can only adjust the dual master so far, because of a design
issue, if the rod pushes in too far it can leak past the seals. So I just
added 1/2" to the slave cylinder push rod by cutting off the end, grinding the
ends to get good penetration for the weld, and rounded the other end on a
bench grinder. Welded it up ground down a bit, a little primer and paint, and
finished.  Works great!  Now with the adjustment at the master I dialed it in
to grab/release just where I like it.

The Millers
"British Car Nuts"

1957 Austin Healey 100-6 BN4 35299

1959 Austin Healey 100-6 BN4 77219

1965 MGB 40841

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite AN5 34351