[Healeys] 100 Engine Timing Chain Tensioner

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 26 09:17:07 MDT 2009

Marv

In order to keep the chain from rattling then the tensioned ring should
be fitted. However there is a downside. Very old or poor quality rubber
versions have been known to break up and get into the sump. Here there
has been occurrences of these bits of rotting rubber getting into the
engine oilways, blocking them leading to bearing failure.

I personally do fit these rings but I would advise trying to get them
from a good supplier. I am lucky because I have a few original BMC parts
still available. The other thing is to carefully check the gauze on the
pump inlet filter box to make sure that there are no non standard holes
or any other general damage.

Regards
--
John Harper