[Healeys] Bugeye front wheel bearing

S and T Miller stmiller96 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 26 07:03:39 MDT 2009

Very cool, thanks.  If it develops "play" again then I may try this.  Not sure
how available new hubs are.  I know Moss doesn't sell them.  Haven't checked
others.

The Millers
"British Car Nuts"

1957 Austin Healey 100-6 BN4 35299

1959 Austin Healey 100-6 BN4 77219

1965 MGB 40841

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite AN5 34351

> Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 01:34:54 -0400
> From: robertlarson at att.net
> To: stmiller96 at hotmail.com; healeys at autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Bugeye front wheel bearing
>
> If you decide to go with that solution rather than replacing the parts
> you might want to consider
> this Loctite product in addition to your 'Fix".
>
> http://www.henkel-technical-services.co.uk/PDF/TDS/646TD.pdf
>
> There may be other products by other makers too.
>
> Long term? No predictions here.
>
> Bob
> 55BN1
>
> S and T Miller wrote:
> > Took it all apart again today. Turns out the inner bearing outer race was
just
> > slightly loose within the hub. When installing the bearing it was tight
at
> > first, but when it was driven home it became loose enough to move it in
and
> > out (slightly) with just finger pressure! So the old bearing probably spun
at
> > some point or it just wore out. BAD HUB!
> >

> > What I did: I took a heavy center punch and made eight sets of indents in
the
> > surface where the bearing fits into the hub. This created a small
distortion
> > in the surface (small volcano shape) allowing the bearing to fit snug.
Will