[Healeys] hubs .. splines - autotightening

Curt/Nancy Arndt cnaarndt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 21:16:22 MDT 2009

Mirek,

Cars are judged as they would have come from the factory.  As such there
would most likely be *minor* marks on the knockoffs when the wheels were put
on at the factory.  Plus, our Concours standards encourages that the cars be
driven, and I would be somewhat lenient with minor marks. Anything more
would most likely result in 1/4 point for each knockoff  (1 point total) for
condition.

However, If I was purchasing an Austin Healey new back in the day and the
knockoffs were beat up a bit I'd most likely ask the dealer for new ones.

I spent a lot of time welding up my original steel knockoffs on my BN1 and I
personally won't use the original lead hammer.  I also don't need to tell
you the trouble and research Roger Moment did to replicate the original
hammer in the BN1s, of which I have a replica.

What I prefer is the shot filled rubber hammer (4 pound Pittsburgh brand)
sold at Harbor Freight.  It works just fine.

Curt Arndt
AH Concours Committee