[Healeys] Bugeye ft wheel bearing

Awgertoo at aol.com Awgertoo at aol.com
Tue Aug 25 07:26:29 MDT 2009

Hi Shaun--

If the problem was there before installing the new bearings then perhaps
the hub is worn or the bearings (old and new) are not correct spec.  The
bearings should not seat/unseat easily--several good whacks with a drift to
drive them in and out should be necessary IMO.  BTW what do the surfaces of
the outer races look like--are they scored/spun?

I don't know of any spec for tightening up the nut--I do it by feel while
rotating the hub and know it takes a lot less than 55 lbs to go from "too
loose" through "just right" to "too tight" and back--all this on my Elva
which essentially has larger Sprite hubs.  Something sounds way out of line
here.

Best--Michael

In a message dated 8/24/2009 11:16:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,