[Healeys] GPS Info for Dummies

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Thu Aug 20 07:21:31 MDT 2009

There is very little between Garmin and TomTom. Also price wise they are
very similar. They both score very well and alternate in the top
positions. Generaly the TomTom comes out best in Europe, mainly because
of user friendliness. However the various tests do differ in opinion.
With both you can choose between voices, languages, displays and
download maps for other countries/continents. The dearer versions have
all kinds of gadgeds one rarely needs.
I ran a consumertest of navigation systems a couple of years ago,
executed by the German automobile club ADAC, and the Tom Tom One V2 was
the clear winner, also over the much more expensive other Tom Tom systems.
All these systems devellop rapidly, but for normal use stick to the
basic and cheap system. They take you from address to address without
fuss. Do not think however that they are flawless and you have to learn
how to deal with their instructions. You will still need a map as a back up.

The main advantage of these systems is that they will save your marriage.

Kees Oudesluijs