[Healeys] [Fwd: Re: GPS Info for Dummies]

Bob Haskell rchaskell at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 20 04:54:39 MDT 2009

Gary,

Several of our local club members have and like the Garmin Nuvi units.
Mine is an older Nuvi 200 which doesn't have the maps for Canada
(Additional maps can be installed via a memory card).  I think newer
units do include Canada.

Just like when skinning cats, when you use a GPS you'll have to keep in
mind that there is usually more than one way to get to your destination.
  You and the GPS may have different idea in the best route.  The GPS
can be configured for 'shortest distance' or 'faster time'.

The points of interest function is very helpful.  You can look ahead to
find lodging, fuel, or a place to eat.

A GPS can also display your speed for checking the Healey's speedometer.

Here's a list of Garmin's automotive units that include US and Canadian
maps: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&ra=true

Bob