[Healeys] Power Source Issue - with cell charger

Bob robertlarson at att.net
Tue Aug 18 17:09:07 MDT 2009

Sounds like...

The leads or terminals on the cigar lighter are reversed.   In the
charger, and other devices,
there is sometimes a diode placed that if the input is reversed  it
conducts and  acts like the
short  you are describing.  This is to protect the device.   The fuse
protects only the wiring
and not the device.

The input to the other items might not care.  They could be using diodes
as "steering" devices
to make sure the electrons head in the right direction and the item
sees  the correct polarity if the
terminal are wired either way.

If you have a voltmeter check the polarity right at the lighter.

Bob